April 20, 2021
Fish chowder (American recipe)
- 60 G (1/4 cup) butter
- medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 Liter (5 cups) milk
- 500 G (1 lb) peeled and finely chopped potatoes
- 1 Kg (2 lb) cod or haddock, skin and bones removed and cut into small squares
- 1 teaspoon of dry thyme
- 1/4 Liter (1 cup) of sour cream
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat. When the foam disappears, add the onion and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent but not colored.
- Add the milk and increase the heat. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat, add the potatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the fish and thyme and cook, another 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and the fish flakes easily under a fork.
- Lower the heat further and, while stirring, mix the cream, salt and pepper into the soup.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the soup into a heated soup tureen.
- Serve immediately.Can be served as a starter or main course, in the latter case, with hot crispy bread.